Blackrock House 5 Star Luxury Bed and Breakfast is delighted to be the first Bed and Breakfast on the Causeway Coastal Route to be awarded ‘Slow Food’ status by Paula McIntyre, Director of Northern Ireland to the Slow Food UK board.
To help launch the Slow Food Causeway movement, Nicola Neill, owner of Blackrock House took on the challenge to enhance her already extensive locally sourced Taste Causeway menu with some new and exciting flavours for guests to enjoy a truly authentic taste of the North Coast.
Nicole said: ‘Breakfast is the first meal of the day and most importantly helps leave a lasting impression with our Guests, so I’ve always been a big advocate of using local, quality, fresh and seasonal ingredients from within the Causeway Coast.
‘To help celebrate the Taste Causeway food network gain ‘Slow Food Causeway‘ status, I wanted to create a stripped back take on the traditional Irish cooked breakfast concentrating solely on quality, flavour and simplicity.’
‘Showcasing Taste Causeway artisan producers not only gives a real taste of our unique culinary culture, but also, ingredients on our doorstep simply taste better, have lower food miles and are a pleasure to cook with. We are lucky to have a vast selection of food from our countryside to coast which helps me develop interesting seasonal specials which leave that lasting impression.’
Executive Chairman of Slow Food in the UK, Shane Holland had the opportunity to taste the breakfast at Blackrock House and was impressed by Nicola’s specially sourced menu from the best award winning local artisan producers,
“I travel extensively and I can honestly say that I can’t remember more warm or genuine hospitality at any B&B that I have ever stayed at. The breakfast just showcased everything that is good about Northern Ireland, with ingredients that had terroir and that I am longing to taste on my return – and I will return.” he said.
Slow Food is a global, grassroots movement with thousands of members around the world that links the pleasure of food with a commitment to community and the environment.
Originally founded in 1989 in Italy; Slow Food in the UK is the umbrella body formed by Slow Food England, Slow Food Scotland, Slow Food Cymru and Slow Food Northern Ireland. Together they seek to promote a better way to eat, celebrate the rich food traditions of our different nations and protect our edible biodiversity.
Blackrock House Luxury Bed and Breakfast is committed to the Slow Food philosophies, taking pride in promoting small-scale food producers, and using great quality, locally sourced, sustainable foods to celebrate our unique culinary culture.
Below is a sample of the wonderful array of fresh, flavoursome, artisan produce that Blackrock House offers for breakfast for guests to enjoy a Taste of the Causeway Coast.
- North Coast Smokehouse Glenarm salmon and trout hot smoked over a whiskey barrel. Smoked dulse salt and pepper from North Coast Smokehouse, Ballycastle
- Traditional Irish cooked breakfast featuring Irish Peat Smoked Dry Cured Back Bacon from Buchannan’s family farm in the Sperrin Hills. Cured using a unique blend of salts and sugars then slowly cold smoked over smouldering peat embers simply served with Abernethy butter basted Glenballyeamon egg, homemade potato bread fried in Broighter Gold Rapeseed Oil and Broughgammon Farm rich homemade ketchup made using homegrown tomatoes on their farm.
- Smoked trout, charred scallion, scrambled Glenballyeamon eggs, Irish wheaten bread
- Irish Black butter spiced pancake, caramelised bramley apple, Bushmills whiskey raisins and turf smoked bacon
- Smoked Glenarm salmon 3 Glenballyeamon egg omelette with Coleraine cheddar, chives, and country fried potatoes
- Slow roasted tomatoes in basil rapeseed oil, hummus, seeds, fresh basil on toasted sourdough
For further information on Blackrock House Luxury Bed and Breakfast go to https://www.blackrockbandbportrush.com/.